It’s certainly an adventure trip recommended for people who like walking, feel the nature, tranquility, the spirit, the energy of the Pachamama and the mountains you will also enjoy the variety of flora and fauna there in place as orchids and Apu (mountain) Salkantay the most respected and revered by the Incas.
- Type of Trek: Adventure, ecological landscapes, cultural and archaeological
- Departures Day: Daily departures
- Accommodation: 1 nights in tent and 1 night hostel
- Season: from march to january
- Trek Duration: 3 days and 2 nights
- Difficulty: Moderate to challenge
- Group size: 2 -10 person
- Maximum height: 4,650 meters
- Price: 430 USD per person
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Soraypampa – Salkantaypass – Challway
Today’s Highlights: Walking from Challacancha to Soraypampa with not too many tourists. An afternoon visit at the Humantay Lake and views of the enigmatic ‘Apu’ Salkantay. The campsite is exclusively just for our group (Click Here to see our Chaullay Campsite) Early in the morning (3:00am) you are collected from your hotel, and transported to Soraypampa (3850mt). We stop briefly for breakfast. Do not miss to look out your window for spectacular views of Umantay and Salkantay Mountains. After introducing ourselves to the group, we get prepared for the hike, and start out to a steady uphill to the pass (4,650mt, 15,255 ft.). Do not miss the views of Mountain Salkantay, and the mountains surrounding it. Upon arrival at the Salcantay pass, we have the closest approach to mountain Salcantay. Afterwards we go down on a serpentine and rocky trail to lunch. Lunch at Huayracmachay. In the afternoon, we keep going down into a lush ecosystem, called tropical high Jungle. As we go lower the temperature increases.
Day 2: Chaullay – La Playa – Santa Teresa – Hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes
Highlights of today: We leave as early as possible to enjoy an empty trail and appreciate the landscape, scenery and wildlife. While trekking through the jungle you can find loads of different wild fruits like: banana, avocado, passion fruit, etc. There are also waterfalls and water streams where you can refresh your feet in. Lunch in La Playa, afterwards we will take a private car to Hidroelectrica where we will start 3 more hours of walking. At 6:00 am. we will start our trek to La Playa through the Santa Teresa valley. We will be hiking approximately 6 hours. During the hike we’ll see: waterfalls, wild orchids, but also coffee, banana and avocado plantations. Here you can taste the famous passion fruit and granadilla fruit. We will see a village called Colpapampa, also called the “forest cloudy brow” where waterfalls, thermal hot springs, fruit-bearing trees, varied flora and birds can be observed. If we are lucky, we will be able to see the famous bird called “the Cock of the Rocks” this bird is the national bird of Peru. After lunch at La playa, we will catch a local transportation to the Hidroelectrica train station. Here you will have two options: 1) If you are exhausted, you may take the train to Aguas Calientes ($31.00 extra). 2) If you are still eager to hike, you may walk from Hidroeléctrica to Aguas Calientes for about 3 hours along the train track. Once in Aguas Calientes we will go to the accommodation which is included in the tour. At 7:00 pm. we will have dinner at a local restaurant. All the expenses in Aguas Calientes are covered by the company. Including: breakfast, lunch, dinner and the overnight at a hotel. (Optional: Train ride from Hidroeléctrica to Aguas Calientes).
Day 3: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
Highlights of today: Early morning arrival at Machu Picchu so you will have more time to explore this truly magnificent World Wonder with not as many tourists. You will even be there before The Inka Trail trekkers arrive! Enjoy the beautiful sunrise. Two hours guided tour of the mystical Machu Picchu ruins. Plus an optional climb to Huayna Picchu or the Machupicchu Mountain (if you have pre-booked tickets.) The highlight of the trek, Machu Picchu! We will wake up early at the hotel. This is better for visiting Machupicchu, before the mass of people arrive. The Machu Picchu entrance check point is open from 6:00 am. until 17:00 pm. We will hike up to Machupicchu (a bus ride is optional for $12.00) and enter the city really early with a lot fewer tourists than during the midday. Here we will have a 2 hours guided tour through this incredible ancient city. We will visit temples, palaces, priest houses, a sundial, the industrial sector and the farming fields. After this guided tour you are free to climb up to Huaynapicchu or Machupicchu Mountain (book in advance to get your tickets!). Both mountains take approximately 3 hours to hike up and down. Or for the less adventurous you can trek to the sun gate, which is the main entrance of the Inka Trail. You’ll stay and enjoy the city for more than 7 hours in the afternoon. We will organize the train ride at 18:20 pm. Back from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and then a bus ride to Cusco to arrive at approx. 22:00 pm. The bus will drop you off at your hotel/hostel in Cusco.
What is included in this tour?
- Pre-departure briefing.
- Collection from your hotel in the morning.
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent, to allow for higher comfort and a safe keeping of backpacks.
- English speaking professional and official tourist guide (2 guides for groups of over 8 people)
- Chef and cooking equipment.
- Accommodation in Aguas Calientes.
- Pack animals (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment) days 1 to 2
- 1 Bag or daffor bag where you can out maximum of 6kg per
- Meals (2B, 2L, 2D + daily morning snack + daily tea service except last day). Vegetarian or special menus are available at no extra cost
- One textile snack bag per person, to avoid the usage of plastic bags that contaminate our environment
- Bio-degradable personal hand soaps
- Others: hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes / boiled water to fill in your water bottle every morning and night, and at lunch time if requested with enough time ahead.
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Machupicchu entrance fee.
- To get a entrance fee to visit Huayna Picchu (we recommend buying the tour and entrance to Huayna Picchu two months in advance as there are only 400 spaces available per day
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Transfer from Ollantaytambo to Cusco
- 1 blanket per Person
- 1 Pillow
What is not included in this tour?
- The first breakfast in Mollepata
- The last lunch in Aguas Calientes
- Bus ticket / from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (round trip 24.00 USD)
- Ticket to the hot-sppring of Santa Teresa
- Horse to ride or for the backpack
- Drinks:mineral water, soda, beer, chocolates
- Sleeping bag
What to Bring?
- Daypack 30 liters/packtowl
- Knit hat/hat
- Rain poncho/Rain jacket/Pants
- Heavy polartec top
- Power stretch shirt
- Trekking poles
- Convertible nylon pants
- Polypropylene underwear
- Hiking boots/3 pairs running socks
- Flip flops
- Anti-itch cream/insect repellent
- Toilet paper